Gyokuro Cheese Scones
- 1 egg – room temperature
- 2 cups flour (plus more 1-2 tbsp as needed or for shaping)
- 1/2 cup cream or so milk (plus more 1-2 tbsp as needed)
- 5 tbsp cold butter – cut into ½-inch slices
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp Gryokuro tea (after you steeped the tea and squeezed out most of the liquid but not dry)
- 3/4 cup Grated cheddar cheese (leave 1/3 for topping)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Add the cold butter and press it into the flour mixture, breaking it into small pieces with your fingers until it looks like coarse meal. Add the mixed beaten egg and cream in to the mixture (the dough should be slightly sticky – if it’s too sticky, add a little flour / if it’s too dry, add more cream, 1 tbsp at a time)
Sprinkle 2 tbsp flour on a work surface and turn out the dough. Spread the Gyokuro tea, the Cheddar and Parmesan cheese over it and knead only a few times to incorporate the tea and cheese (if the dough is too sticky, add 1-2 tbsp flour).
Press the dough into a ¾-inch-thick circle shape. Spread the left over cheddar cheese on the top and cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes until it gets golden brown.
Why we love it?
After you enjoyed delicious Gyokuro tea, the steeped tea can be eaten / used as a green vegetable – no waste! It is a great recipe for savory baking with cheese. Gryokuro and cheese make a nice harmony. Enjoy the healthy and nutritious tea scones with your favorite green tea!